Welcome to WoodChips, the special site for all the descendants of Hilda Daire and George Stanley Wood, and their friends and family.
We have created a private section of this site containing more personal information about family members. You will need a password to access this section, please contact us if you do not know it already.
In the private section of the website there is also a complete family tree with all dates of birth and other information. Check your details in the database. There is also the birthday list, listing all family members birthdays. No more excuses for missing it.
2013 Family Reunion
see photos from the 2013 Family reunion
Now there are now a few more notices on the Wood Family Notice Board. Why don't you add a little message for everyone to see.
Mum, Nana, Great Nana, Hilda passed away peacefully after a great life on 17th March 2005. She was blessed to have had a long and healthy life as we were blessed having her with us for so long, not many families would have their mother with them for this length of time. A funeral mass was celebrated on the 22nd March, an estimated 400 people attended, there were 30 grandchildren as well as a number of their spouses and children. Nana was buried at Fawkner cemetery with her husband George.
Go to Hilda's page and see some photos and read some history of her life. A highlight is to listen to her recall her first meeting with her future husband, recorded in 1974. All this and more.
Did you know?
As at December 2005, Hilda had 36 grandchildren and 69 great grandchildren. More Family Trivia
We have found some old photos in an attic, dusted them off and scanned them for your viewing pleasure. You can find them on the new page called The Archives.
We have collected some photos from Shipley, Yorkshire, where George and Hilda grew up. Go here to check them out.
We have collected some photos of ships that George Stanley Wood served on during the first World War, during his time in the British Navy.
New to this site
- The online family tree has been updated again (last update was in Nov 06) (Nov 09)
- some photos from Alicia Lyell's wedding on the photo gallery (Jun 09)
- Dorothy Turner passed away on 9th April 2008.
- the life story of George Clarke (Mar 08)
- Family Reunion 2007: photos and details (Nov 07)
- the life story of Joseph Wood (Jun 07)
- The Woodchips site has now moved to a new domain, Families Unearthed (Feb 07)
- More details of George's WW1 service has been included, including transcripts from his interview with Eddie. (Dec 06)
- Page about St Gabriels Reservoir, which has close ties to the family. (Dec 06)
If you have any family information that will be of interest to us all, please send it to me. Any news will do: such things as what have you or your family been up to, anyone been in the news, or funny stories, or even if you want to promote a special family event.
Any submissions, corrections or comments? send an email to John Wood via our contact form